Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dark Chocolate & Bacon Cupcakes

Today has been a beautiful rainy day here in Northern California and I am loving it so I decided to make my boyfriend some Dark Chocolate & Bacon Cupcakes. I saw the recipe on this site www.allrecipes.com and knew I had to give it a try. Allrecipes.com is probably my favorite recipe webpage I've made probably 50+ recipes from there and almost all of them come out amazing. Anyways, back to the cupcakes... 




Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 12 slices bacon
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee (I used Disney Blend from my recent trip to disneyland!)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.


These cupcakes were simple and tasted AMAZING!! I just love how they are so different from your typical cupcake. The batter was soo good that I think from now on I'm going to use this as my basic chocolate cake recipe minus the bacon. 

Top them with your favorite chocolate frosting (not too much though!) and top with crumbled bacon or a small strip of bacon. 


The recipe makes 24 regular sized cupcakes. 


The boyfriend whose normally not too big on cake in general really enjoyed these.. I think it's because of the bacon :) 

Ladies, if you want to impress your man make him some of these and he will love you forever ;)

I think my next attempt will be Key Lime Cupcakes since Jarret likes key lime pie so much I want to see if I can make it even better with a cupcake.


With Love, 
Cheri

2 comments:

  1. I love key lime. I get to try those when you make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha okay! i know you don't eat bacon but if jer or any of the kids want some chocolate & bacon cupcakes feel free to stop by and get some!

    ReplyDelete